I Am Jack's Raging Mommy

Please go to http://jacksragingmommy.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

One/Make Poverty History

I am going to be preachy for one moment.
No matter how you have come to my site, and most of you are Blog Catalog surfers, please take two seconds to open a second window to one of these campaigns. Make Poverty History and One
are campaigns being run out of the UK and US respectively to encourage the leaders at the G8 (Group of Eight) summit to end poverty.
This is not a pipe dream. This is more possible now than it has ever been, and more so than it is likely to be for a long time. The name of the "One" organization comes from the fact that it would only take one percent of our budget to do our part.
I understand skeptics. The websites have extensive research backing up the fact that fair trade, aid, and debt relief will help. You are also more than welcome to do your own research on the matter, but do something.
You can find the code for the Make Poverty History band and One banner on their respective sites. There are also many places available to purchase the white band to both support these groups and show your support for this cause.

In the time it has taken me to write this over 200 children have died from extreme poverty.
One every three seconds. There is no excuse. We can fix this, and we owe it to ourselves and our children to say that we tried. I want to be able to look Jack in the eye and tell him that his Mommy did what she could to save other children. That I did what I could to make the world I brought him into a better place.